if a tree falls in the forest....#1

 

As a Ph.D student some years ago, I was walking down a hallway, singing “if a tree falls in the forest, would anybody hear it”? Instead of this, the correct line from a Bruce Cockburn song, I sang “If a tree, falls in the desert…”. One of my fellow students was passing, and adroitly finished with “…that would be surprising!” in perfect tune and tempo, no less. He is now a highly successful neurologist. My error, the neurologist would tell us, was a “semantic paraphasia” (meaning the word error was a related word, “desert”, to the intended word, “forest”). That I was making such errors many years ago is worrisome, now that I think about it (see below).

 

I digress. Why that song line now? Well, why do any of us want to blog? Why do I want to blog, and would it matter if nobody read it? In my case, in the words of Lilly Allen, it certainly is to some extent to have a “whinge[1]  and a moan” in main part about the state of British Universities. (If I do get a sufficient head of steam going, I may also stray into British politics, British cuisine and of course British weather. See above about whingeing and moaning). 

 

But really! Another old bloke droning on about how much better things were in the good old days?: ”Not only did our undergraduates work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week, they wrote their exams in their own blood from pricked index fingers. This requirement meant they often didn’t waffle on, but got straight to the point on each question, lest they pass out”.

 

I recognise this person, and will do my best to let him control my typing fingers only in the most extreme of circumstances. Anyway, why blog about British academia, etc.?

 

Hypothesis 1: The catharsis theory. Get if off my chest, and it matters not a jot if anyone reads them. As Dire Straits said

 

“He wrote me a prescription, he said, "You are depressed

But I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest

Come back and see me later, next patient, please

Send in another victim of industrial disease".

 

I of course remembered it as “Certainly a victim of industrial disease”. But that was back when I was a Ph.D student and we already know that all was not well in my noodle[2], even then.

 

Hypothesis 2: The social affiliation theory, or, in layperson’s terms, “misery loves company”. If I do manage to attract a few readers and some actually agree with what I write or some small part of it, well, that’s affirmational, innit? Surely, the self-inflicted wounds produced by successive British governments and their Vichy collaborators in the Universities themselves can’t be lost on anyone sentient can they (but see footnote on nariccism)?  “It’s not just me who thinks that they system is completely nuts and is bad for students[3], for staff, for Universities, the country, and in fact the world!”.

 

Hmmm. This hypothesis makes me sounds a bit too much like a MAGA gammon[4]: “Someone agrees with me that the moon might be made our of cream cheese!”. Time to generate a further hypothesis, although we may come back to misery loves company shortly.

 

Hypothesis 3: Social and political change! This blog will, by word of mouth, galvanise support for UK University reform, as the staff and students, drawn to these words by word of mouth will be brought to their senses after 20 plus years of stupor! We will rise as a collective, led by Universities UK, and…and...

 

No this is not going to fly. Academics, even soft-spoken British ones, are often highly motivated rugged individualists[5], who worry about their own career development, thinly disguised as what is good for the entire scientific world. They are the sorts who thought when they first saw the film “Logan’s Run” that they would have beaten “the Carousel.’’[6]. And member of the management class, for all of their flaws, are certainly not Christmas-endorsing turkeys.

 

Hypothesis 4: Writing might actually be good for you. Yes, of course there is a literature on producing literature, so to speak. Learned papers, discovered in a 5 -minute deep trawl in Google Scholar (for young people reading this, think of it as old academic people's ChatGPT), tell us that writing does all sorts of wonderful things for us. In fact, writing about upsetting things, all the better! “Writing about traumatic, stressful or emotional events has been found to result in improvements in both physical and psychological health, in non-clinical and clinical populations.”

 

Well this hypothesis has some promise, even if I don’t think I am as of yet in the latter said group. This section reminds me of how I was complaining about being disorganised to a friend. He said (more or less) “Carey your problem is not disorganisation, its classical procrastination. You avoid the task until the last minute cobble something together that is OK, and tell yourself what an excellent job you would have done if….if…if”. 

“Nonsense Rob”, I replied. “THAT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE ME AT ALL”, I continued, perhaps over-vigorously. He handed me a book, a few days later, called “Overcoming Procrastination[7]. I can still see the cover in my mind's eye. I looked at it, frequently, over the next 2 years. The cover, I mean. Around the same time, I bought the first of my books on getting organised, apocryphally titled “Getting Organised”. The punch line is, I didn’t get around to reading the book on procrastination, and I lost the book on getting organised. Sadly, all this talk of procrastination this leads to the unpleasantly possible Hypothesis 5, which is that reading and writing about marketisation in academia is less distressing than pursuing some of the duties that academia actually requires me to do. Let move on, swiftly, shall we?  

 

As an aside, a chat with a new colleague convinced me that I should probably sign this blog, because my style would give me away anyway. I replied “But only you, Gavin Buckingham and Alan Beaton ever read anything I write!”. Of course the real reason to remain anonymous is to prepare for the possibility that you will offend colleagues who play a role in my embarrassing stories. Of course most of my stories are only embarrassing about me really, so that’s not a huge risk.

 

Second, and in all seriousness, management at your University might, understandably take offence at anything you say that could be perceived as putting the place in a bad light (which in some sense is a nice summary of one of the big problems, more on that in a future blog).  I have several thoughts that come to mind with a bit of thinking about this. First, can any of those people actually read? Of course I jest, but, seriously think about how they often write.  Hinton (2002) comments “the goal of good managementspeak is not to provide clear content understood by their target audience, to communicate meaningfully. No, instead, the job is to give the impression to others that you are communicating meaningfully. If meaning is clear, it can be evaluated and even shock, horror, at a modern University no less – be criticised. Constructive obfuscation, for lack of a better word, might catch the ear of your management superiors, or might impress or distract the people you manage with your competence and strategic vision". 

More on this topic in a later blog, as I am anticipating more time away from paid employment in the near future.

 

In summary, I have yet to say anything about anything (which, some of my students and colleagues might note is not all that unusual). But of course I hope this gives you a small taste of what is to come: “Left of political centre winge and a moan meets Wernicke’s word salad”[8] Which would not be a bad name for such a blog, no? other possibilities which have crossed my fevered brow include “The delegation of dissatisfaction“[9], “Meekly accepted subordination”[10], “This all sounds shockingly familiar”, “Smells like Team Dispirit” and “Jeremy Corbyn’s Allotment”[11], If I can figure out how to do a poll, I will ask the three of you for a vote in a future blog.

 

Further reading:

 Hinton, D. A. (2002). Triangulating the circle: the three laws of Management Speak. Critical Quarterly, 44(3). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/1467-8705.00432

 For an amusing piece on Gammons (I never imagined writing that wee fragment in my lifetime, take that "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"), see "Want to succeed as a middle-aged modern man? Google Kendrick Lamar". Evening Standard. Archived from the original on 12 May 2018. Retrieved 11 May 2018.

 https://web.archive.org/web/20180512112202/https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/want-to-succeed-as-a-middleaged-modern-man-be-more-like-ronan-farrow-and-google-kendrick-lamar-a3819366.html

(Please do not tell my Guardian reading lefty pals that I was anywhere near this right-wing rag. This was strictly research, on gammons. More on them and Brexit in a future blog).


Lots on how writing is good for you, but how good is the data, really (some of this literature is three happy thoughts sorts of stuff)? You could check out

 Mogk, C., Otte, S., Reinhold-Hurley, B., & Kröner-Herwig, B. (2006). Health effects of expressive writing on stressful or traumatic experiences-a meta-analysis. GMS Psycho-Social Medicine3PMID: 19742069; PMCID: PMC2736499.

 Most of the literature is not very evaluative but positive and a bunch of other stuff is mostly on how writing interventions and frequency improves writing quality and so on.  


Winlow, S. (2022). Beyond measure: On the marketization of British universities, and the domestication of academic criminology. Critical Criminology30(3), 479-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10612-022-09643-y

 I was won over by the third sentence in this wee beauty: ""Here, I claim that—despite appearing regularly in the public proclamations of government ministers and university leaders—the core ideals of the university no longer play a significant role in Britain’s higher education sector and rarely intrude upon the working lives of British academics. Italics added by DPC.

[1] Wingeing, for you non-Brits out there who always wondered what Lily Allen was on about in that song, is sort of a cross between whining and complaining.

[2] My crude neuropsychological understanding is that semantic paraphasias happen every now and then (even to Ph.D students who are largely very young) and that they increase with normal ageing. It’s those topographical problems -  getting lost in what should be familiar environments that you might look out for. I should probably check the literature to be sure, but have decided that I really don’t want to know.

[3] Even the Dutch, who I sometimes think of as the Americans of Europe, get that it is bad: https://www.kritischestudenten.nl/krantje-boord/oktober-2011/yes-the-marketization-of-education-is-still-a-bad-idea/ . This comment may offend American or Dutch readers; as this blog has yet to go international; I could always edit this out at a later date.

[4] A gammon, in British parlance, is, well sort of the UK equivalent of a “meathead”. Strictly speaking: “Gammon is a pejorative popularised in British political culture since around 2012. The term refers in particular to the colour of a white person's flushed face when expressing their strong opinions, as compared to the type of pork of the same name”. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)#:~:text=Gammon%20is%20a%20pejorative%20popularised,pork%20of%20the%20same%20name.

[5] I was going to say Narcissists, but someone I know will eventually read this, and assume I was talking about them. (There’s a Carly Simon gag to be had here, obviously, but I don’t want to push the song line schtick too far in Blog number 1).

[6] Younger readers may not get this analogy, but I suppose they can google it. Or instead, read about “the American dream”, or “trickle down economics”.

[7] No longer in print, but boy apparently there is still quite a bit of procrastination in our world because many thoughtful souls have written books to tell us what to do about it.  

[8] In fact, this is my second Wernicke joke of the year. Not an easy thing to do, neuropsychologists will confirm. See if you can find the first one in Carey, D.P. Language lateralisation. Encyclopedia of the Human Brain (2nd edition), Elsevier. If you don’t have access , write me, I’ll email it to you, because the publishers are NEOLIBERALS and this will give me a rebellious neolimbic dopamine hit.

[9]This delegation of dissatisfaction and opposition very efficiently disguises the fact that in our everyday working lives, the vast majority of us meekly accept our subordination.” (Winlow, 2022)

[10] See footnote 9. I have previously used footnotes in self-referential jokes. I am sure than Alan Beaton, Sam Jones and Gavin Buckingham enjoyed them. Carey, D. P. (2007). Is bigger really better? The search for brain size and intelligence in the twenty-first century. Tall tales about the mind and brain: Separating fact from fiction, 105-122. See footnote 8 if you want a copy.

[11] What I was smoking when I came up with this one is anybody's guess. 

Comments

  1. Liked this so much I have signed up for more (yet another password for me to remember, damn you!! ;-) ). And I think all bar one hypothesis is likely to be confirmed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like readership has gone to n+1...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had some private comments, so n is at least 5! Interesting a couple say "let loose David, this is too tame!". A third suggests "tone about right, should keep you out of trouble". As I say above, one of the big problems, more on this in a future blog....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Neo, neoliberals, and nonsense #2